Best Barbeque Sauce

Years ago, I created a barbecue sauce that guests said was the best they'd ever had.  It was very good,  not too vinegary with just the right amount of spice and sweetness.  Upon trying to find the recipe I made, I could not locate it nor have I been able to duplicate it since with other recipes I have tried...until I came across this recipe.  It was featured on Diner, Drive-ins and Dives.  It was produced by a man who runs an oil change place in the Bronx and has a barbecue trailer next door.  Patrons can get their oil changed and have a bit to eat at the same time.  Turns out, it is great barbecue and Mo Gridder shared his recipe with the show.  After making it, it is the closest thing I have found to the lost recipe that I made years ago.
 
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1 cup molasses
3/4 cup prepared mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional

Combine the sugar, black pepper, salt, granulated garlic, oregano and thyme in a medium, nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Stir in enough vinegar to make a loose paste.
In a bowl, combine the ketchup, molasses, mustard and cayenne. Incorporate into the paste. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer until thick, about 20 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts